Tags

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

In honor of school starting up in Louisiana this week, this post will feature a photo gallery of the Schoolhouse, the restored first Black Catholic School in Louisiana, built in 1865 by the sisters of the Sacred Heart.

Located on the grounds of The Cabin Restaurant, the Schoolhouse was moved from Convent to Burnside several years ago and restored by Al and Theresa Robert. The Schoolhouse currently serves as a wedding and event facility, along with the adjoining Courtyard. The Schoolhouse was originally listed on the National Register of Historic Places, but was removed from the Register when it was moved to Burnside.

Advertisements